Due to their affordability, reliability and flexibility, electric motors are used in countless applications, many of which we encounter every day. From your electric toothbrush to your power drill, electric motors power many consumer items. Electric motors also power many specialized applications that we often overlook, such as automatic door openers, security equipment, and food and beverage equipment. In reality, of course, nearly anything that needs to move is a possible application for an electric motor.
Specialized Applications for Electric Motors
When the average person thinks of an electric motor, they may picture their vacuum cleaner, power tools or appliances. While these are fine, there are many electric motor applications that we interact with every day, often without realizing it. These more specialized applications include:
- Food and beverage equipment: Electric motors power the food and beverage equipment we rely on every day, from the coffee maker on your counter to the largescale equipment found in restaurants. Just about any time we eat or drink anything, an electric motor played a role in cooling, heating or preparing it.
- Automatic door openers: Despite every child’s dream that the Force is behind the automatic opening and closing of doors at the grocery store, it is actually an electric motor clearing the way for us. Motors built into the frame or surrounding wall structure power automatic doors when engaged by their sensor mechanisms.
- Pumps and fluid handling: Electric motors power a countless variety of pumps and fluid handling mechanisms. Any time a fluid is moved or dispensed, it is likely done so by an electric motor. This includes the soap dispenser in the washroom at work, chemical sprayers for lawn treatments and even the soda dispenser at your favorite fast food restaurant.
- Vending equipment: The go-to spot for a quick snack or drink, vending machines rely on electric motors to dispense their goods. After you’ve put your coins in and made your selection, an electric motor takes care of delivering your food or drink item.
- Security equipment: Electric motors play a vital role in security and safety applications, including electric turnstiles, automatic gates, electric door locks, lights and scanning systems and more. By powering security equipment, electric motors make it possible to maintain safety and control access in a wide range of environments.
- Ice equipment: Those of us who enjoy an ice-cold beverage or freshly delivered foods have electric motors to thank. From ice makers and dispensers to ice agitators and ice packaging machines, electric motors power many applications that quench our thirst or feed our hunger.
To learn more about motors, we invite you to read our previous post, “Are Electric Motors Waterproof?”
Need an Electric Motor for a Specific Application? Contact Us Today.
If you are searching for an electric motor for your commercial manufactured application, Power Electric can help. To discuss your specific needs with a member of our sales team, call 763-383-6936 or contact us online today.